Home / Acquisition & Procurement / Proposed Executive Order on GovCon Contributions Continues to Stoke Controversy

Proposed Executive Order on GovCon Contributions Continues to Stoke Controversy

Photo: aoc.gov

A draft executive order spelling out proposed disclosure rules governing the political donations of government contractors began making the rounds a few weeks ago and has continued to stoke controversy.

Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who heads the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, held hearings last week amid threats of a subpoena to compel administration officials to testify.

A subpoena was averted when the White House announced Dan Gordon, administrator of the Office of Federal Procurement Policy, would answer the committee’s questions.

In his testimony, Gordon said information about political contributions would not actually be taken into account by the government’s program managers.

“The question is, does the public have the right to know what contributions were made by contractors?” Gordon said, arguing that public openness would bode well for the acquisition system as a whole.

However, as the hearings demonstrated, the proposal has proven to be no hit on Capitol Hill as even Democrats have distanced themselves from the proposal.

The topic was addressed in Politico’s “Arena Digest,” a soundoff featuring opinions from top policymakers and “opinion shapers,” in today’s edition, drawing a range of opinions.

Doug Heye, former spokesman for the Republican National Committee, commented the plan amounted to little more than a pay-to-play scheme.

“It is not hard to envision a scenario where political opponents are denied equal access to federal contracts and supporters, or potential supporters are ‘encouraged’ to pony up what is essentially protection money,” he said.

But Meredith McGehee, the Campaign Legal Center’s policy director said too often, “the public is left ignorant of just whose favor is being curried.”

“What is wrong with ensuring that the public has the campaign-finance disclosure it needs to hold both government contractors and candidates accountable?” she added.

Check Also

GAO: Air Force to Deploy New Combat Rescue Helicopters to Active Component by FY 2020

The Government Accountability Office has found that the U.S. Air Force intends to start fielding in fiscal 2020 new Combat Rescue Helicopters to replace aging HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopters that have recorded the most flight time when it comes to staff recovery missions. GAO said in a report published Thursday the service will initially deploy the new helicopters to the active component six years ahead of the reserve component and to the Air National Guard by 2027.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *