The Commerce Department has awarded $2.5 million in total grants to 24 universities and colleges as winners of a competition that seeks to build up regional economies and promote innovation.
The department awarded the grants as part of the Economic Development Administration’s 2016 University Center Economic Development Program Competition, the Commerce Department said Monday.
“The investments announced today will allow these higher education institutions to build the public-private partnerships that are so vital to helping America stay innovative and competitive in the 21st century,” said Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker.
Awardees will use the grants to implement five-year initiatives, such as the provision of technical assistance to businesses, entrepreneurs and economic development districts; support to the digital game industry; and establishment of a cybersecurity research center.
- Becker College
- Bowling Green State University in partnership with Ohio University in Athens
- Cleveland State University
- Delaware State University
- Marshall University
- Michigan State University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Purdue University in partnership with Ball State University
- Rutgers University
- The Research Foundation for the State University of New York
- University of Connecticut
- University of Illinois-Champaign
- University of Illinois-Chicago
- University of Maryland
- University of Michigan
- University of Minnesota
- University of Puerto Rico
- University of Rochester
- University of Southern Maine
- University of Wisconsin in Madison
- University of Wisconsin in Menomonie
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University