Home / Acquisition & Procurement / Army Secretary Halts In-sourcing

Army Secretary Halts In-sourcing

Army Secretary John McHugh, Photo: af.mil

The Army is halting ongoing in-sourcing plans, effective immediately, according to a memo from Army Secretary John McHugh released earlier this week.

In its place, McHugh said any plans to phase private contractor positions into in-house government ones would have to cross his desk.

“In an era of significantly constrained resources, the Army must approach the in­-sourcing of functions currently performed by contract in a well-reasoned, analytically based and systemic manner,” he said in the memo.

So, going forward, all in-sourcing proposals must be “fully documented and justified,” the memo states. “Any proposal will include, at minimum, a manpower requirements determination, an analysis of all potential alternatives to the establishment of permanent civilian authorizations to perform the contracted work, certification of fund availability and a comprehensive legal review.”

The memo was first released by industry group the Professional Services Council, which has offered praise for McHugh’s plan, saying it represents the “right approach to in-sourcing,” in the words of PSC President and CEO Stan Soloway.

“We have said all along that all sourcing decisions for clearly commercial work — whether insourcing or outsourcing — must be done strategically with the best interests of the government mission and American taxpayer in mind,” he added.

Check Also

VA Appoints Karen Brazell as Chief Acquisition Officer

Karen Brazell, formerly chief of staff at the White House Military Office, officially joined the Department of Veterans Affairs on Aug. 6 as chief acquisition officer and principal executive director for the VA's Office of Acquisition, Logistics and Construction, Federal News Radio reported Monday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *