Home / DoD / Carter Meets with Contractors to Discuss Long-range Nuclear Bomber Plans

Carter Meets with Contractors to Discuss Long-range Nuclear Bomber Plans

Pentagon acquisition chief Ashton Carter, Photo: Defense.gov

Defense Department acquisition chief Ashton Carter has met with some of the largest defense contractors — Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and Boeing — to discuss plans for a new generation of nuclear long-range bombers.

According to The Los Angeles Times, the new aircraft would be the first long-range U.S.-built bomber in more than a decade ago. And the department’s “wish list” runs 80 to 100 deep.

The three companies Carter has met with — separately, of course — are considered top contenders for the $55 million bomber contract, with work to be completed in Southern California.

The Pentagon has set a goal of the mid-2020s for the bombers to be operational.

“It is important that we begin this project now to ensure that a new bomber can be ready before the current aging fleet goes out of service,” soon-to-retire Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said at a news briefing earlier this year.

Meanwhile, the Obama administration’s FY 2012 budget includes $197 million to support development for the new program, according to Global Security Newswire, and some $3.7 billion will be spent over the next five years, according to the Air Force.

Check Also

Andrew Charles: Navy Should Determine Where AI Fits Into System

Capt. Andrew Charles, director of tactical exploitation of national capabilities for the U.S. Navy, has said the service should determine where artificial intelligence technologies apply in its operations, and where they don't, Federal News Network reported Friday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *