The Combined Federal Campaign, the annual charity drive targeted to federal employees, has one week left to go in its 50th anniversary season and a new commission says it should go beyond the federal workforce in the future.
Currently, CFC regional campaigns are not allowed to reach out to contractors or federal retirees, Overseas CFC Director Lou Torchia said in the meeting according to the Federal Times report.
The commission discussed other recommendations to try and revitalize a campaign that last year saw its first annual drop in donations since 2002, going from $282.6 million in 2009 to $281.5 million in 2010. A final report is due March 31 to John Berry, director of the Office of Personnel Management.
The CFC, running from Sept. 1 through Dec. 15, was established in 1961 by then-President John F. Kennedy and is the only campaign authorized to collect donations from federal employees in the workplace.