The Defense Department intends to call back to work nearly 90 percent of the 350,000 civilian employees that were furloughed last week amid the shutdown, Bloomberg reported Sunday.
According to the report by William Selway and Gopal Ratnam, Pentagon Comptroller Robert Hale told journalists during a conference call the furloughs affected nearly half of the Pentagon’s civilian workforce.
“No more than a few tens of thousands will remain on furlough, and it may be substantially less than that,” Hale said, according to the report.
The Pentagon believes it can recall workers responsible for overseeing contracts such as inspectors, as well as healthcare and intelligence personnel, Selway and Ratnam report.
Hale also said the Pentagon will bring back contract inspectors working for Lockheed Martin that were on furlough, according to Bloomberg.
Lockheed furloughed those employees because they work at government facilities that were either closed or did not have government employees to oversee that work, Bloomberg reports.