The Senate Commerce Committee has approved 10 bills as well as the nominations of Peggy Gustafson as the Commerce Department‘s Inspector general and the reappointment of Federal Maritime Commissioner Michael Khouri.
The committee said Wednesday it advanced the American Innovation and Competitiveness Act that works to maximize science research through new agency oversight and research dissemination strategies as well as a reform on federal science agencies to help taxpayer-funded research.
Bills approved by voice vote included:
- The American Innovation and Competitiveness Act
- Improving Rural Call Quality and Reliability Act of 2015
- Securing Access to Networks in Disasters Act of 2016
- Deadline for Compliance with Alternative Safety Compliance Program
- American Fisheries Advisory Committee Act
- Marine Mammal Research and Response Act of 2016
- The Outdoor Recreation Jobs and Economic Impact Act of 2015
- Access for Sportfishing Act of 2016
- A bill to reauthorize and amend the Marine Debris Act to promote international action to reduce marine debris and for other purposes
- A bill to amend title 46 of the United States Code to exempt old vessels from certain requirements if improvements made