White House Opposes Senate’s Army Tactical Network Funding Restriction Plan

The Trump administration has objected to a provision under the Senate’s proposed fiscal 2018 defense policy bill that would restrict all funds for U.S. Army battlefield network development efforts, C4ISRNET reported Saturday.

The White House said in a statement published Friday that implementing funding limitations to the Warfighter Information Network-Tactical program would affect the Army’s on-the-move communications, intelligence analysis and air and missile defense operations.

The Senate’s proposed National Defense Authorization Act for 2018 does not include President Donald Trump’s $420 million budget request for the General Dynamics-led WIN-T program.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley voiced concerns over whether WIN-T can function as intended and ordered the service branch to review the program.

Several House and Senate lawmakers previously urged Milley to consider the implementation of a new procurement strategy that would accelerate fielding of the network.

The upper chamber aims to take up NDAA this week.

You may also be interested in...

Army Multi-Domain

Army Activates 2nd Multi-Domain Task Force in Germany for Defeating A2/AD Networks; Col. Jonathan Byrom Quoted

U.S. Army Europe and Africa has activated the 2nd Multi-Domain Task Force, a group tasked to stop adversary anti-access/area-denial networks in land, air, water, space and other environments. The 2nd MDTF will be based at the Clay Kaserne installation in Wiesbaden, Germany, and will be led by Col. Jonathan Byrom, the Army said Friday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *