Home / DoD / USS Ford Carrier Shock Test Gets DoD Backing

USS Ford Carrier Shock Test Gets DoD Backing

Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, in a letter to the Senate Armed Services Committee, said the department believes the U.S. Navy should not delay shock-testing of its $13 billion USS Gerald R. Ford carrier, Bloomberg reported Thursday.

“We agree with your view that a test in normal sequence is more prudent and pragmatic,” Shanahan told SASC Chairman John McCain (R-Arizona).

The Navy previously asked Defense Secretary James Mattis to postpone the USS Ford’s shock trials for at least six years in a push to accelerate deployment of the supercarrier in combat duty and maintain an 11-carrier fleet.

Huntington Ingalls IndustriesNewport News Shipbuilding division built and delivered the first-of-class carrier to the service branch after it completed acceptance trials in May of last year.

The report said a shock test would help the Navy to determine if the ship can withstand underwater charges and mitigate any potential vulnerabilities.

Check Also

FTC Opens Comment Period on Records Disclosure System Amendment Plan

The Federal Trade Commission seeks public comments on its proposal to modify an approach for …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *