Home / News / Census Bureau Deploying GEOINT-Based Canvassing System for 2020 Count

Census Bureau Deploying GEOINT-Based Canvassing System for 2020 Count

Jeff Brody

The Census Bureau is implementing a new canvassing system that uses satellite imagery data to identify addresses for the 2020 population count, Federal News Network reported Monday.

Steven Dillingham, director of the Census Bureau, said the agency has begun using the geospatial intelligence-based Block Assessment, Research and Classification Application and will launch a “full-fledged” canvassing effort using the system this month. BARCA utilizes the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s satellite imagery data to identify new developments and track changes in existing housing units. 

The bureau has used BARCA to identify 65 percent of the addresses that will receive census forms and will hire around 40,000 canvassers to verify the remaining 35 percent or 50 million addresses through mid-October. For the 2010 census, the bureau hired around 150,000 canvassers to conduct address verification activities.

Check Also

Navy Opens Renovated Norfolk Naval Shipyard Building

The U.S. Navy has inaugurated a newly renovated facility in Norfolk Naval Shipyard on Aug. 22. The shipyard's Building M-32 has been equipped with new airconditioning, ventilation, electrical, plumbing and fire suppression systems and is expected to employ 200 people from NNSY's equipment management, production facility, engineering and planning departments, the Navy said Thursday.