The Government Accountability Office hosted a conference on certain policy issues to formally initiate activities at the agency’s Center for Strategic Foresight. Experts convened at the conference to discuss space policy management and the issue of deep fakes, falsified media materials that criminals use for deception, GAO said Tuesday.
“At GAO, we’re committed to thinking strategically about the future in order to meet Congress’ evolving information needs,” said Gene Dodaro, head of GAO and the U.S. comptroller general.
The research center aims to analyze emerging issues affecting the federal government and provide Congress with input to address identified concerns. GAO’s Office of Strategic Planning and External Liaison houses the strategic center.
The center has nine fellows for 2019:
- Amy Webb, futurist and professor at New York University’s Stern School of Business
- Andy Hines, a foresight professor at the University of Houston
- Angela Wilkinson, senior director of the World Energy Council
- Brian Masterson, senior behavioral health medical director at UnitedHealth Group
- Catarina Tully, director at School of International Futures, an independent consultancy
- Jens Wandel, special advisor to the secretary-general on reforms at the United Nations
- Kristel Van der Elst CEO at The Global Foresight Group
- Octavio Hinojosa-Mier, executive director of the National Hispanic Corporate Council
- Rosemarie Forsythe, a former executive at Exxon Mobil