Federal funding for state and local homeland security programs in Virginia has gone down nearly 35 percent since 2008, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports.
Michael Martz reports the state received $13.1 million in homeland security and emergency planning grants this year, down $16 million from last year and $37.3 million less than the 2008 funds.
George Foresman, undersecretary of preparedness under President George W. Bush, told Martz the reduced funds represent a move toward maintaining programs and equipment implemented since Sept. 11, 2001.
He is also a former assistant to the governor for commonwealth preparedness.
Martz reports the Hampton Roads region is being dropped from the Urban Areas Security Initiative after previously fighting to get back in the program in 2007.
That region was initially dropped in part due to a perception that the military would handle disaster response, the report said.
In July, the Department of Homeland Security announced a $1.3 billion funding initiative for helping state and local governments and the private sector prepare for and respond to emergencies.