Processing....

Logo

Digital News Coverage of Government Contracting and Federal Policy Landscape
Sticky Logo
  • Home
  • Acquisition & Procurement
  • Agencies
    • DoD
    • Intelligence
    • DHS
    • Civilian
    • Space
  • Cybersecurity
  • Technology
  • Executives
    • Profiles
    • Announcements
    • Awards
  • News
  • Articles
  • About
  • Wash100
  • Contact Us
    • Advertising
    • Submit your news
    • Jobs
Logo
News
Lisa Disbrow: USAF Needs Budget to Modernize Weapons, Increase Force Size
by Mary-Louise Hoffman
Published on July 5, 2017
Lisa Disbrow: USAF Needs Budget to Modernize Weapons, Increase Force Size

 

Lisa Disbrow: USAF Needs Budget to Modernize Weapons, Increase Force Size
Lisa Disbrow

Lisa Disbrow, formerly undersecretary of the U.S. Air Force, has said she believes budget uncertainty affects the military service’s efforts to update its weapon systems and respond to rapid changes in the threat environment, Defense One reported Friday.

“I believe that [the] really, really largest threat facing us is potential for returning to a Budget Control Act level, which would be devastating to our readiness, devastating to our ability to modernize,” Disbrow told Defense One in an interview.

Disbrow, whose last day in office was Friday, called on the Air Force to boost its force size based on the nature of current threats.

She added the service branch seeks to increase the number of fighter aircraft it procures to 100 aircraft a year and works with Congress to make that happen.

The retired Air Force Reserve colonel was nominated by former President Barack Obama for the Air Force’s no. 2 civilian post in September 2015 and her nomination was approved by the Senate five months later.

 

Acquisition & Procurement/News
China Protests Potential $1.4B US Arms Sale to Taiwan
by Anna Forrester
Published on July 3, 2017
China Protests Potential $1.4B US Arms Sale to Taiwan


China Protests Potential $1.4B US Arms Sale to TaiwanChina’s foreign ministry has expressed concern over a potential $1.42 billion sale of U.S.-made missiles, torpedoes and missile components as well as support services for various defense programs to Taiwan, DoD Buzz reported Friday.

The report said the Chinese government called for the cancellation of the deal because it presents a challenge to the country’s security interests and does not align with the “One China” policy that it notes the U.S. has previously pledged to support.

Taiwan requested to purchase Standard Missile-2 Block IIIA missiles, AGM-154C Joint Standoff Weapon air-to-ground missiles, AGM-88B anti-radiation missiles, MK 54 lightweight torpedo conversion kits, MK 48 Mod 6AT heavyweight torpedoes, updates to the AN/SLQ-32(V)3 electronic warfare system and surveillance radar sustainment services.

The State Department approved the request and the Defense Security Cooperation Agency subsequently notified Congress of the proposed sale Thursday.

“It shows, we believe, our support for Taiwan’s ability to maintain a sufficient self-defense policy,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said, according to DoD Buzz.

“There’s no change, I should point out, to our ‘one-China policy,'” she added.

DoD/News
Lt. Gen. Aundre Piggee: Army Looks to Increase Ammo Supplies in 5 Years
by Scott Nicholas
Published on July 3, 2017
Lt. Gen. Aundre Piggee: Army Looks to Increase Ammo Supplies in 5 Years


Lt. Gen. Aundre Piggee: Army Looks to Increase Ammo Supplies in 5 YearsLt. Gen. Aundre Piggee, deputy chief of staff for U.S. Army logistics, has said the military branch would need $45 billion to buy precision weapons that can support fight against terrorists and other well-armed adversaries, Breaking Defense reported Friday.

Piggee told a forum hosted by the Association of the US Army in Virginia the service branch collaborated with the joint force and private sector to create a five-year plan to increase spending and production of “smart” weaponry.

He predicted the current security landscape will require stockpiles of Lockheed Martin-built Hellfire missiles for the Predator and Reaper remotely piloted aircraft as well as Guided Multiple Launch Rocket System rounds for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems and Multiple Launch Rocket System vehicles.

The Army would also need additional Army Tactical Missile Systems, Terminal High-Altitude Air Defense missiles and Raytheon-built Patriot missiles to prepare for potential wars.

DoD/News
House Panel’s 2018 Defense Policy Bill Includes Restriction on USAF Compass Call Aircraft Recapitalization Program
by Jane Edwards
Published on July 3, 2017
House Panel’s 2018 Defense Policy Bill Includes Restriction on USAF Compass Call Aircraft Recapitalization Program


House Panel’s 2018 Defense Policy Bill Includes Restriction on USAF Compass Call Aircraft Recapitalization ProgramThe House Armed Services Committee’s defense policy bill for fiscal 2018 would postpone the provision of funds for the U.S. Air Force’s Compass Call aircraft recapitalization program until the Defense Department’s acquisition office determines that the service branch’s procurement strategy complies with the law, Defense News reported Friday.

A House aide told reporters that lawmakers have concerns about the Air Force’s acquisition strategy and do not oppose the selection of L3 Technologies as principal contractor on the program.

“We’re a little bit confused about what their acquisition strategy is, so we want [the defense undersecretary for acquisition, technology and logistics] to tell us it’s a sound strategy,” the aide said.

“[The U.S. Air Force] said they are going to now contract with a lead systems integrator, then it became a systems integrator… So we’re just confused by that.”

Lt. Gen. Arnold Bunch, military deputy of the Air Force’s acquisition office, said in May that the service’s decision to choose L3 to perform systems integration work and let the firm pick a new aircraft that will replace the fleet of EC-130H Compass Call planes stems from the company’s familiarity with the mission equipment.

Civilian/News
Ron Jarmin, Enrique Lamas Named to Interim Leadership Roles at Census Bureau
by Jane Edwards
Published on July 3, 2017
Ron Jarmin, Enrique Lamas Named to Interim Leadership Roles at Census Bureau


Ron Jarmin, Enrique Lamas Named to Interim Leadership Roles at Census BureauRon Jarmin, associate director for economic programs at the U.S. Census Bureau, has been appointed acting director of the bureau.

Jarmin took over as interim director following the retirement of John Thompson on June 30, the Commerce Department said Thursday.

Jarmin led the team responsible for the 2017 Economic Census and previously held the role of assistant director for economic studies.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross also named Enrique Lamas, associate chief for demographic programs, as the Census Bureau’s interim deputy director.

Lamas joined the bureau in 1980 and held several leadership roles such as head of the labor force and transfer programs statistics branch and chief of the population division.

Ross made the appointments under the Vacancies Reform Act that authorizes agency chiefs to temporary fill vacant positions that require presidential appointment and Senate confirmation.

 

Civilian/News
Trump Inks Executive Order to Revive National Space Council
by Jane Edwards
Published on July 3, 2017
Trump Inks Executive Order to Revive National Space Council


Trump Inks Executive Order to Revive National Space CouncilPresident Donald Trump signed Friday an executive order that seeks to relaunch the National Space Council that last operated in 1993 under President George H.W. Bush’s administration, Space News reported Friday.

Trump said in a speech at the White House that Vice President Mike Pence will chair the council that will serve as a “central hub guiding space policy within the administration.”

He added that the council will work to provide recommendations to the president and will be composed of representatives from various federal agencies, business leaders and scientists.

The executive order would create a “user’s advisory board” that will offer advice on space matters and ensure that commercial entities’ interests are represented in the council.

Officials who attended the signing ceremony include Pence, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, former NASA flight director Gene Kranz and astronauts Buzz Aldrin, David Wolf and Benjamin Drew.

DoD/News
GAO: DoD Should Update Financial Mgmt Guidance to Meet Cash Balance Requirements
by Ramona Adams
Published on July 3, 2017
GAO: DoD Should Update Financial Mgmt Guidance to Meet Cash Balance Requirements


GAO: DoD Should Update Financial Mgmt Guidance to Meet Cash Balance RequirementsThe Government Accountability Office has urged the Defense Department to update its Financial Management Regulation to help maintain cash balances within upper and lower cash requirements.

GAO said Friday DoD’s Defense-wide Working Capital Fund reported that monthly cash balances were outside limits set by FMR for 87 of 120 months from fiscal years 2007 through 2016.

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Defense Information Systems Agency and Defense Logistics Agency use the DWWCF to charge for goods and services delivered to the U.S. military and other customers.

GAO noted the cash reserves were outside requirements primarily due to changes in fuel costs.

DoD’s FMR includes guidance on tools managers can use to help keep monthly cash balances within limits but the regulation does not contain instructions on when to use such tools.

The DWWCF might not be able to pay bills on time or hold funds that could be used for other priorities when monthly cash balances do not meet requirements for a long time, the report stated.

GAO recommended DoD to update the FMR to add guidance on when DoD managers should use available tools to maintain monthly cash balances within required levels.

DoD/News
Senate Panel’s 2018 NDAA Would Reorganize DoD CIO Office, Ban Russian Anti-Virus Software
by Ramona Adams
Published on July 3, 2017
Senate Panel’s 2018 NDAA Would Reorganize DoD CIO Office, Ban Russian Anti-Virus Software


Senate Panel's 2018 NDAA Would Reorganize DoD CIO Office, Ban Russian Anti-Virus SoftwareThe Senate Armed Services Committee’s version of the fiscal 2018 defense policy bill would ban Kaspersky Lab‘s anti-virus software from Defense Department systems and reorganize the DoD chief information officer position, Defense One reported Friday.

SASC unanimously approved the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act, that calls for the department to divide the current CIO duties between the chief management officer and a new “chief information warfare officer.”

A provision of the bill would also prevent all DoD components from using anti-virus software made by Moscow-based company Kaspersky, due to reports that the firm might be influenced by the Russian government.

Kaspersky said it does not have ties with any government and has not supported cyber espionage activities.

Both provisions are not included in the House Armed Service Committee’s version of the 2018 NDAA, according to Defense News.

DoD/News
Matthew Donovan Nominated as Air Force Undersecretary
by Scott Nicholas
Published on June 30, 2017
Matthew Donovan Nominated as Air Force Undersecretary


Matthew Donovan Nominated as Air Force Undersecretary
Matt Donovan

Matthew Donovan, a policy director and professional staff member at the Senate Armed Services Committee, has been nominated to serve as the next U.S. Air Force undersecretary, Air Force Times reported Thursday.

In his current role, Donovan advises committee Chairman John McCain (R-Arizona) on matters related to the Defense Department‘s fixed-wing, manned and unmanned tactical aviation programs for all four service branches, as well as on Air Force aircraft procurement, research, development, bomber, mobility and sustainment efforts.

The 26-year Air Force officer has recorded more than 2,900 flight hours with F-15 and F-5E aircraft during his military career.

He also supported various combat missions as a pilot under Operation Southern Watch in Iraq and led the 95th Fighter Squadron at Tyndall Air Force Base.

Donovan worked as a senior defense policy analyst at Science Applications International Corp. from October 2008 to March 2009.

Government Technology/News
GAO: DoD Should Apply Commercial Practices in Tech Development
by Ramona Adams
Published on June 30, 2017
GAO: DoD Should Apply Commercial Practices in Tech Development


GAO: DoD Should Apply Commercial Practices in Tech DevelopmentThe Government Accountability Office has recommended that the Defense Department form a science and technology management framework that will incorporate best practices from industry.

GAO made the recommendation after it reviewed technology development practices of Amazon, IBM, Siemens, Dow Chemical, Honeywell, General Motors, Qualcomm  and Valvoline, the agency said Thursday.

The agency found that all eight companies separate their technology investments into ‘incremental’ and ‘disruptive’ portfolios to promote existing products in the short term and explore new technologies for long-term competitiveness.

GAO noted some DoD practices reflect those of the firms reviewed and the department’s capacity to adopt industry methods is limited by budget policies and culture.

The congressional watchdog also found that DoD labs struggle to balance incremental and disruptive development activities because the department does not evaluate the mix of its investments in these innovation areas.

Congress required DoD to create an undersecretary of defense for research and engineering by February 2018 to lead innovation policy development.

GAO said the position offers an opportunity to create policies that will encourage adoption of industry practices at the department.

Previous 1 … 2,187 2,188 2,189 2,190 2,191 … 2,603 Next
News Briefing
I'm Interested In:
Recent Posts
  • NIST Issues Updated Security & Privacy Control Catalog
  • Air Force Announces Collaborative Combat Aircraft Program Milestone
  • DCSA to Begin DISS Cloud Migration Under IT Modernization Strategy
  • NSA, Other Agencies Release Advisory Against China-Sponsored Cyberthreats
About

ExecutiveGov, published by Executive Mosaic, is a site dedicated to the news and headlines in the federal government. ExecutiveGov serves as a news source for the hot topics and issues facing federal government departments and agencies such as Gov 2.0, cybersecurity policy, health IT, green IT and national security. We also aim to spotlight various federal government employees and interview key government executives whose impact resonates beyond their agency.

Read More >>

RSS ExecutiveBiz
  • DOD, Peraton & Okta Launch myAuth Authentication System
  • NATO Procurement Agency Gets State Department Approval for $104M AIM-9X Sidewinder Missile FMS
  • Seekr Adds Allison Binns & Mat Winter to Advisory Board
  • Anthropic Launches National Security & Public Sector Advisory Council
  • VA Continues Rollout of New Acquisition Management System Powered by CGI’s Momentum
  • SNC Demos Airlift/Tanker Open Mission Systems Capabilities During Air Force Exercise
RSS GovConWire
  • Applied Signals Intelligence Appoints Azhar Haq as VP, CFO
  • Jilee Rich Joins Trilogy Federal as Vice President of Growth
  • Accenture Announces NeuraFlash Acquisition to Boost AI Capabilities
  • DHS Announce Plans for Potential $100M Counter-UAS Acquisition
  • Google to Invest Another $9B in Virginia’s Cloud, AI Infrastructure
  • DLA Launches Market Survey for $3.2B C5ISR G2S Contract’s Open Season
Footer Logo

Copyright © 2025
Executive Mosaic
All Rights Reserved

  • Executive Mosaic
  • GovCon Wire
  • ExecutiveBiz
  • GovCon Exec Magazine
  • POC
  • Home
  • Acquisition & Procurement
  • Agencies
    • DoD
    • Intelligence
    • DHS
    • Civilian
    • Space
  • Cybersecurity
  • Technology
  • Executives
    • Profiles
    • Announcements
    • Awards
  • News
  • Articles
  • About
  • Wash100
  • Contact Us
    • Advertising
    • Submit your news
    • Jobs
Go toTop