Processing....

Logo

Digital News Coverage of Government Contracting and Federal Policy Landscape
Sticky Logo
  • Home
  • Acquisition & Procurement
  • Agencies
    • DoD
    • Intelligence
    • DHS
    • Civilian
    • Space
  • Cybersecurity
  • Technology
  • Executives
    • Profiles
    • Announcements
    • Awards
  • News
  • Articles
  • About
  • Wash100
  • Contact Us
    • Advertising
    • Submit your news
    • Jobs
Logo
News
Trump OKs Four-Week Government Funding Extension
by Jane Edwards
Published on November 22, 2019
Trump OKs Four-Week Government Funding Extension


Trump OKs Four-Week Government Funding Extension

President Donald Trump signed Thursday another continuing resolution to fund the federal government at current spending levels through Dec. 20 and avoid a government shutdown, CBS News reported.

The president’s signature came hours after the Senate voted 74-20 to approve the four-week stopgap funding bill. The House passed the CR by a 231-192 vote Tuesday.

The measure funds a 3.1 percent salary increase for military personnel, appropriates $7.2B for the 2020 Census, reauthorizes the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act’s provisions and extends several health care programs.

Government Technology/News
GSA’s Judith Zawatsky on Transition to Beta Website for Contracting Opportunities
by Jane Edwards
Published on November 22, 2019
GSA’s Judith Zawatsky on Transition to Beta Website for Contracting Opportunities


Judith Zawatsky
Judith Zawatsky

Judith Zawatsky, assistant commissioner in the office of systems management at General Services Administration’s Federal Acquisition Service, told Federal News Network in an interview posted Thursday about the efforts of GSA’s information technology team to address the issues following the transition from FedBizOpps to the cloud-based System for Award Management beta website.

Vendors and other users encountered infrastructure problems, slow load times and other issues during the first few days of the betaSAM.gov portal’s launch. To address such concerns, Zawatsky said GSA “had pre-positioned a team offsite of the operational team, the product owners, the product managers, our technical team with GSA IT and our customer service [experts] … They worked and went through the system constantly. They brought in some extra engineers, GSA IT was fabulous.”

Despite the initial issues, she noted that more than 20K users visited the new portal in the first week, while agencies used the platform to post over 2K business opportunities.

Zawatsky said she and Dave Shive, chief information officer at GSA, will work with operational and technical teams to conduct a retrospective of the beta’s launch to figure out the causes of the problems and address potential concerns for future migrations.

DHS/Executive Moves/News
DHS Cyber Official Jeanette Manfra to Leave Post for Private Sector
by Jane Edwards
Published on November 22, 2019
DHS Cyber Official Jeanette Manfra to Leave Post for Private Sector


Jeanette Manfra
Jeanette Manfra

Jeanette Manfra, a senior official at the Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, will leave DHS at the end of the year to join the private sector, TechCrunch reported Thursday.

Manfra, who serves as assistant director for cybersecurity at CISA, said the move will provide her replacement time to transition into the position ahead of the presidential elections in 2020.

She is former assistant secretary for the office of cybersecurity and communications at CISA’s predecessor agency, National Protection and Programs Directorate. She previously served as senior counselor for cybersecurity to the DHS secretary and director for critical infrastructure cybersecurity at the White House National Security Council.

Manfra also served in the U.S. Army as a military intelligence officer and a communications specialist.

Civilian/News
OMB Issues Updated Guidance for Federal Info Security Compliance
by Brenda Marie Rivers
Published on November 21, 2019
OMB Issues Updated Guidance for Federal Info Security Compliance


OMB Issues Updated Guidance for Federal Info Security Compliance

The Office of Management and Budget is mandating federal civilian agencies to submit their annual progress reports on Federal Information Security Management Act compliance by March 2, 2020.

OMB released a memo on Tuesday updating its FISMA guidance, which also directs inspectors general to facilitate yearly reviews of agency initiatives related to information security.

Under the legislation, chief information officers and chief information security officers must update their metrics for assessing system security every quarter. Civilian agencies must also submit security incident reports to the Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency along with relevant technical information.

DHS will be required to perform assessments of agencies’ internet-accessible systems and public-facing platforms as part of FISMA.

According to the memo, FISMA seeks to ensure that agency heads are “ultimately responsible for ensuring that their respective agencies maintain protections commensurate with the risk of harm of a compromise.”

News
NSWC Dahlgren-Issued OTA Presented at Recent Industry Event
by Nichols Martin
Published on November 21, 2019
NSWC Dahlgren-Issued OTA Presented at Recent Industry Event


NSWC Dahlgren-Issued OTA Presented at Recent Industry Event

Naval Surface Warfare Center Dahlgren Division issued an other transaction agreement with the Naval Surface Technology and Innovation Consortium in June to fortify government-industry collaboration.

NSTIC presented the Naval Surface Technology and Innovation OTA at an industry event in Fredericksburg, Va., gathering together members of industry, government and academia, Naval Sea Systems Command said Wednesday.

“NSWC Dahlgren has a continuing, significant demand for innovative prototype projects directly relevant to weapons or weapon systems that involve advanced concept demonstrations, risk reduction prototyping, technology demonstrations, and development of pre-production prototypes,” said John Fiore, technical director of NSWCDD.

He said relying on the traditional community of defense contractors would limit opportunities to gain technologies that support naval mission effectiveness across multiple aspects.

“The use of this OTA allows for non-competitive follow-on opportunities to a prototype agreement that was competitively awarded and successfully completed,” said Capt. Casey Plew, commanding officer at NSWCDD.

Representatives from industry firms, nonprofits and academic institutions compose NSTIC and work together towards the improvement and delivery of naval technologies.

Government Technology/News
Federal Protective Service Automates Threat Assessment Processes
by Nichols Martin
Published on November 21, 2019
Federal Protective Service Automates Threat Assessment Processes


Federal Protective Service Automates Threat Assessment Processes

The Federal Protective Service, an agency within the Department of Homeland Security, has used automation technologies to reduce time costs in the creation of threat assessment reports, GCN reported Wednesday.

FPS produces these reports as part of its mission to secure federal employees and activities at approximately 9.5K U.S. facilities. The agency conducts threat assessments via a Modified Infrastructure Survey Tool and bases reports on standards promoted by the Interagency Security Committee.

Argonne National Laboratory helped FPS automate a large part of the data gathering and analysis processes, reducing the amount of manual work needed to construct the reports.

The automated process gathers data from agent-submitted threat information, building vulnerability inspectors and a facility’s documents on countermeasures. Additional sources would include crime stats, census data and the FBI.

Jeffrey Levine, an FPS special agent, said the automation helped the agency accelerate process-related activities and recognize portfolio items that may not have been initially identified.

Government Technology/News
NASA to Release RFI for Lunar Rover to Support ‘Artemis’ Moon Mission
by Brenda Marie Rivers
Published on November 21, 2019
NASA to Release RFI for Lunar Rover to Support ‘Artemis’ Moon Mission


NASA to Release RFI for Lunar Rover to Support 'Artemis' Moon Mission

Tom Cremins, associate administrator for strategy and plans at NASA, said the agency plans to issue a request for information on a next-generation lunar rover “in the coming weeks,” Space News reported Wednesday.

Cremins told attendees at the SpaceCom Expo in Houston that the unpressurized rover will be used to support astronauts for Artemis moon missions. NASA’s Johnson Space Center will lead the effort, which is focused on establishing partnerships with industry.

Last month, NASA Administrator and 2019 Wash100 winner Jim Bridenstine announced that the agency plans to use a commercial lander for the $250M Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover project that seeks to traverse the moon’s south pole in 2022.

NASA is in the process of evaluating input on the Human Landing Systems program focused on deploying commercial approaches to lander development. The agency is also continuing work on the proposed lunar gateway to support the 2024 moon landing as well as other future space efforts.

DHS/News
GAO: DHS Transportation Security Strategy Needs Better Alignment With Other Plans
by Nichols Martin
Published on November 21, 2019
GAO: DHS Transportation Security Strategy Needs Better Alignment With Other Plans


GAO: DHS Transportation Security Strategy Needs Better Alignment With Other Plans

The Government Accountability Office has found that the Department of Homeland Security’s national strategy for transportation security conflicts with other federal documents, and thus does not generally guide the federal government’s related efforts.

DHS’ 2018 National Strategy for Transportation Security, developed under the department’s Transportation Security Administration, has exhibited redundancy and contradiction with oversight from other transportation programs, GAO said Tuesday.

The strategy conflicts with other transportation-related guidance efforts such as the National Strategy for Aviation Security.

Federal agencies have not used the TSA-made transportation security strategy to run programs, but only for coordination and reference. TSA develops the strategy in accordance with congressional orders.

GAO recommends DHS to work with the Department of Transportation to spread awareness on the strategy’s alignment with related plans for federal program guidance.

DoD/Government Technology/News
DoD Eyes Industry Partnerships for 5G Testing in 2020
by Brenda Marie Rivers
Published on November 21, 2019
DoD Eyes Industry Partnerships for 5G Testing in 2020


DoD Eyes Industry Partnerships for 5G Testing in 2020

The Department of Defense plans to collaborate with industry to test 5G technologies at selected military bases next year, C4ISRnet reported Wednesday.

DoD intends to launch testing opportunities every quarter as part of the effort aimed at establishing a testbed for 5G connectivity using mid-band radars in congested environments. The Pentagon also wants to use the technology to support the development of virtual training ranges and “smart warehouses”.

“We’re going to do large scale testing and experimentation of the three different use cases,” said Lisa Porter, deputy undersecretary of defense for research and engineering, at this year’s Mobile World Congress in Los Angeles. “The use cases that we’re looking at have obvious military and commercial relevance.”

Joshua Weaver, associate director of the DoD’s 5G working group, noted at the DC5G summit in Washington, D.C. that the department plans to issue other transaction agreements for the effort through the National Spectrum Consortium.

DoD expects to release a draft request for proposals for the 5G testing initiative this month ahead of plans to issue a full solicitation in December. The department also plans to schedule an industry day before releasing its request.

Government Technology/News/Wash100
Tyndall Air Force Base to Implement AT&T 5G Services; Wash100 Award Winner Xavier Williams Quoted
by William McCormick
Published on November 21, 2019
Tyndall Air Force Base to Implement AT&T 5G Services; Wash100 Award Winner Xavier Williams Quoted


Tyndall Air Force Base to Implement AT&T 5G Services; Wash100 Award Winner Xavier Williams Quoted

The U.S. Air Force is working with AT&T to establish Tyndall Air Force Base as a “Smart Base of the Future” and use AT&T 5G services to deliver a communications solution with cloud, IoT, virtual reality and FirstNet capabilities, AT&T announced on Thursday.

“The Air Force and AT&T share a vision for the smart base of the future: one that uses modern, commercially available communications capabilities to help our military maintain its globally competitive edge in defending our freedoms,” said Xavier Williams, president of AT&T’s Global Public Sector and 2019 Wash100 Award recipient. 

Under the agreement, AT&T will also deliver and manage commercial and private enterprise information technology capabilities at Tyndall. AT&T’s networking solution at Tyndall will support network compute and storage as well as network edge capabilities that can more quickly deliver data and applications to users. 

“We’re proud to work with the Air Force and help fulfill its vision for how technology can power improvements in mission delivery while helping it keep its technological advantage,” Williams added. 

The Air Force also plans to equip its first responders and eligible public safety users at Tyndall with FirstNet – the nationwide, dedicated communications platform purpose-built for public safety.

Previous 1 … 1,609 1,610 1,611 1,612 1,613 … 2,603 Next
News Briefing
I'm Interested In:
Recent Posts
  • NIST Issues Updated Security & Privacy Control Catalog
  • Air Force Announces Collaborative Combat Aircraft Program Milestone
  • DCSA to Begin DISS Cloud Migration Under IT Modernization Strategy
  • NSA, Other Agencies Release Advisory Against China-Sponsored Cyberthreats
About

ExecutiveGov, published by Executive Mosaic, is a site dedicated to the news and headlines in the federal government. ExecutiveGov serves as a news source for the hot topics and issues facing federal government departments and agencies such as Gov 2.0, cybersecurity policy, health IT, green IT and national security. We also aim to spotlight various federal government employees and interview key government executives whose impact resonates beyond their agency.

Read More >>

RSS ExecutiveBiz
  • DOD, Peraton & Okta Launch myAuth Authentication System
  • NATO Procurement Agency Gets State Department Approval for $104M AIM-9X Sidewinder Missile FMS
  • Seekr Adds Allison Binns & Mat Winter to Advisory Board
  • Anthropic Launches National Security & Public Sector Advisory Council
  • VA Continues Rollout of New Acquisition Management System Powered by CGI’s Momentum
  • SNC Demos Airlift/Tanker Open Mission Systems Capabilities During Air Force Exercise
RSS GovConWire
  • Applied Signals Intelligence Appoints Azhar Haq as VP, CFO
  • Jilee Rich Joins Trilogy Federal as Vice President of Growth
  • Accenture Announces NeuraFlash Acquisition to Boost AI Capabilities
  • DHS Announce Plans for Potential $100M Counter-UAS Acquisition
  • Google to Invest Another $9B in Virginia’s Cloud, AI Infrastructure
  • DLA Launches Market Survey for $3.2B C5ISR G2S Contract’s Open Season
Footer Logo

Copyright © 2025
Executive Mosaic
All Rights Reserved

  • Executive Mosaic
  • GovCon Wire
  • ExecutiveBiz
  • GovCon Exec Magazine
  • POC
  • Home
  • Acquisition & Procurement
  • Agencies
    • DoD
    • Intelligence
    • DHS
    • Civilian
    • Space
  • Cybersecurity
  • Technology
  • Executives
    • Profiles
    • Announcements
    • Awards
  • News
  • Articles
  • About
  • Wash100
  • Contact Us
    • Advertising
    • Submit your news
    • Jobs
Go toTop